Full transcript of the call between Donald Trump and the President of Ukraine

 Full transcript of the call between Donald Trump and the President of Ukraine

Zelensky y Donald Trump
Zelensky y Zelensky

The document was declassified and made public by the White House

On Wednesday, the White House released a transcript of the call that President Donald Trump and his Ukrainian counterpart Volodymyr Zelensky held in July, the focus of the accusations of the Democratic opposition that announced the start of a formal investigation for a possible political trial.

Here, the complete transcription in Spanish of that conversation:


Donald Trump: Congratulations on your great victory. We've all seen you from the United States and you did a great job. You came from behind, someone who was not given much importance and ended up winning easily. It is a fantastic achievement. Congratulations.

Zelensky: You are absolutely right, Mr. President. We have won big and we have worked hard to achieve it. We work hard, but I would like to confess that I had the opportunity to learn from you. We used several of their skills and knowledge and were able to use them as an example for our choices, and yes, it is true that they were unique choices. We were in a unique situation where we were able to achieve a unique success. I can tell you the following: the first time, he called me to congratulate me when I won my presidential election, the second time he calls me now when my party won the parliamentary elections. I think I should run more often so he can call me more often and we can talk on the phone more often.

Trump: (Laughs) That's a very good idea. I think your country is very happy with that.

Zelensky: Well, yes, in fact we are trying to work hard because we wanted to drain the swamp here in our country. We brought a lot of new people. Not the old politicians, not the typical politicians, because we want a new format and a new type of government. You are a great teacher to us in that.

Trump: Well, it's very nice of you to say that. We have done a lot for Ukraine. We made a great effort for a long time. Much more than what European countries did, they should be helping you more than they do. Germany does almost nothing for you. All they do is talk and I think it's something you should ask them about. When I was talking to Angela Merkel ... she talks about Ukraine but does nothing. Many of the European countries are the same. I think it's something you should check, but the United States has been very, very good with Ukraine. I would not say that it is necessarily reciprocal because things are happening that are not, but the United States has been very, very, very good. 

Zelensky: Yes, you are absolutely right. Not only 100%, actually 1000%. But I can tell you the following: I spoke with Angela Merkel and met her. I also met and talked with Macron ... and told them that they are not doing as much as they have to be doing in the matters of sanctions. They are not applying the sanctions. They are not working as much as they should work with Ukraine. It turns out that, although logically the European Union should be our biggest partner, but technically, the United States is today a bigger partner than the European Union and I am very grateful for that, because the United States is doing a lot for Ukraine. Much more than the European Union, especially with regard to sanctions against the Russian Federation. I also want to thank you for your great support in the area of ​​defense. We are willing to continue cooperating in the next steps. Specifically we are almost ready to buy more javelins (missiles) from the United States for defense purposes.

Trump: I would like you to do us a favor because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it. I would like you to find out what happened to this whole situation in Ukraine, talk about Crowdstrike .... I think you have valuable people ... There are many things that happened, the whole situation ... I think you are surrounding yourself with some of The same people. I would like the Attorney General to call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of the matter. As you said yesterday, all that nonsense ended with a very poor performance by a man named Robert Mueller, an incompetent performance, but they say that much of it started with Ukraine. Whatever you can do, it is very important that you do it if possible.

The transcript declassified today by the White House
The transcript declassified today by the White House
Zelensky: Yes, it is very important for me and for everything you just mentioned before. For me, as President, it is very important and we are open to any future cooperation. We are ready to open a new page on cooperation in relations between the United States and Ukraine. To that end, I just summoned our ambassador to the United States and will be replaced by a very competent and experienced ambassador who will work hard to ensure that our two nations approach. I would also like to, and I hope you maintain your trust and maintain personal relationships with you so that we can cooperate even more. Personally, I will tell you that one of my assistants spoke with Mr. Giuliani recently and we hope Mr. Giuliani can travel to Ukraine and that we meet once he arrives in Ukraine. I just wanted to assure you once again that you have nothing but friends around us. I will make sure to surround myself with the best and most experienced people. I also wanted to tell you that we are friends. We are great friends and you Mr. President have friends in our country, so we can continue our strategic partnership. I also intend to surround myself with great people and, in addition to that investigation, I guarantee, as President of Ukraine, that all investigations will be conducted openly and frankly. That I can assure you.

Trump: Good because I heard you had a prosecutor who was very good and was removed and that is very unfair. A lot of people are talking about it, the way they took your very good prosecutor and you had some very bad people involved. Mr. Giuliani is a very respected man. He was the mayor of New York, a great mayor, and I would like him to call you. I will ask you to call him along with the Attorney General. Rudy knows a lot about what's going on and is a very capable guy. If you could talk to him, it would be great. The former United States ambassador, the woman, was a bad affair and the people she was dealing with in Ukraine too, so I just want them to know. The other matter, there is much talk about Biden's son, who Biden stopped the accusation and many people want to hear about it, so anything that can be done with the Attorney General would be great. Biden walked around boasting that he had stopped the prosecution, so if you can investigate ... Sounds horrible

Zelensky: I wanted to talk to you about the prosecutor. First of all, I understand and I am well informed about the situation. Since we have obtained the absolute majority in our Parliament, the next attorney general will be 100% mine, my candidate, who will be approved by parliament and will start as a new prosecutor in September. He or she will study the situation, specifically the company you mentioned. The question of the investigation of the case is really the question of ensuring restoration of transparency, so we will take care of it and work on the investigation of the case. In addition to that, I would ask you if you have any additional information that you can provide us, it would be very useful for the investigation to make sure that we administer justice well in our country. With regard to the Ambassador to the United States of Ukraine, as I recall, her name was Ivanovich. It was great that you were the first person who told me I was a bad ambassador, because I agree 100% with you. His attitude towards me was far from being the best, since he admired the previous President and was on his side. She did not accept me as a new President well enough.

Trump: Well, she's going to go through some things. I will have Mr. Giuliani call you and I will also have Attorney General Barr call you and we will get to the bottom of the matter. I am sure you will solve it. I heard that the prosecutor was treated very badly and that he was a very fair prosecutor, so good luck with everything. I predict that your economy will improve more and more. You have many assets. It's a big country. I have many Ukrainian friends, their people are amazing.

Zelensky: I would like to tell you that I also have quite a few Ukrainian friends living in the United States. Actually, the last time I traveled to the United States I stayed in New York near Central Park and stayed at the Trump Tower. I will talk to them and hope to see them again in the future. I also wanted to thank you for your invitation to visit the United States, specifically Washington, DC. On the other hand, I also wanted to assure you that we will take the case very seriously and that we will work on the investigation. As for the economy, there is a lot of potential for our two countries and one of the issues that is very important for Ukraine is energy independence. I think we can be very successful and cooperate with the United States in terms of energy independence. We are already working in cooperation. We are buying American oil, but I have high hopes that a meeting will be held in the future. We will have more time and more opportunities to get to know each other better. I would like to thank you very much for your support. 

Trump: Good. Well, thank you very much and I appreciate it. I will tell Rudy and Attorney General Barr to call. Thank you. When you want to come to the White House, don't hesitate to call. You give us a date and we will solve it. I look forward to seeing you.

Zelensky: Thank you very much. I would be happy to go and know you better personally. I look forward to our meeting and I would also like to invite you to visit Ukraine and come to Kiev, which is a beautiful city. We have a beautiful country that will welcome you. On the other hand, I think that on September 1 we will be in Poland and we can meet there, hopefully. After that, it would be a good idea to go to Ukraine. We can take my plane or we can take yours, which is probably much better than mine.

Trump: Ok, we can think about that. I hope to see you in Washington and maybe in Poland, because I think we'll be there at that time. 

Zelensky: Thank you very much, Mr. President.

Trump: Congratulations on the fantastic work you have done. Everyone was watching. I don't think it was so surprising, but congratulations. 

Zelensky: Thank you Mr. President. Goodbye.

No comments